Disclaimer: I use this blog as my journal. Mostly my life centers around my four smallish peeps, but this entry is about my grandparents. My journal would not be complete without a tribute to them.
This is my Grandma. On Saturday she passed away. Her memory has been fading for sometime now. I feel like it was almost 12 years ago that I had a true conversation with her. I had been to see her a few times since then and she did not recall who I was, or which one of her children I belonged to. Even with that happening, as soon as I walked into her house I felt calm, I felt safe, I felt loved.
Here are a few things that I remember about my Grandma Gailey:
I remember picking raspberries and strawberries with her.
I remember helping her feed her barn cats.
I remember Thanksgiving dinners.
I remember Christmas Eve parties.
I remember jumping off her front porch.
I remember using yogurt containers as cups.
Although I can't remember all the time we spent together, I will always remember her love for me and I hope that she will know and remember that I love her back! A post about my grandma would not be complete if I didn't mention my grandpa. They were always together. (And now they are again!)
My grandpa passed away the beginning of September. We were able to attend his funeral and remember the great man that he was. I was able to remember the hugs he ALWAYS had for me, his war stories, his teaching me how to wire an outlet and much more. They were a great team. I can remember them going to the temple together. I can remember riding between them in the old green truck. I remember the twinkle in grandpa's eye as he would accelerate and grandma would begin asking him to slow down. :)
I miss my grandparents greatly and though my memory of activities we did together will fade the love they have for me and the love I have for them never will. I am so thankful that they are together and that someday I will see them both again.


3 comments:
I am so sorry that your grandma passed away. What a great tribute..love ya girl!!!
Oh sister - this made me cry. Isn't it wonderful that we can love someone so fiercely years after we have any 'real' contact with them? Your thoughts are beautiful and I'm so happy for both of them that they are together again and finally completely themselves, without the pain and frustration of failing bodies and minds. You're practically perfect in every way!
fs
Jeri Beri! I LOOOOVE your post about G'ma and G'pa! I am going to print it off and add it to my pictures of them!
Thanks so much!
Love, Aunt Terri
Post a Comment