About two years after Heath and I got married I informed him that I needed a little grey puppy. Of course he got me one. She was the first puppy to leave the litter. She bawled and bawled as we drove away. I was heart broken and certain that we needed to return her. (Of course someone else would purchase her if we did not was the logic that Heath used on me.) So home she came with us. We named her Hannah, "A girl? I might have known she'd have a girl!"
And so I got what I wanted.
Growing up I had lots of cats. Mostly outside cats. But no dogs. So she was my first puppy and I loved it! I had jury duty the first week that she was home with us, so she went to work with Heath and he got all of her attention. So for a long time she was "Heath's dog." But as the years past she would follow me around and help me do laundry, help me cheat at hide and go seek, clean up the floor under the table after meals, and sit on my feet to keep them warm. She definitely became my puppy! :)
On one of our runs I pushed her hard, and by the end of it I was carrying her down the street. She layed down and refused to walk another step. But she was more than content to check everybody out as I carried her down the road. Before Kodi came along it was Hannah and I that held down the fort while Heath worked late. I am scared of the dark. And I wouldn't let my imagination get the best of me unless Hannah started barking. Then I knew that something totally scary was waiting outside my door. And I would immediately call Heath. I don't know how may countless hours I have seen Hannah sit and endure the "love" from the kids. From pulling her hair to forcing her to share her bed with all of their stuffed animals. We all can remember good times with that old girl!
My Hannah got very sick. (I will spare you the disgusting details. I'm pretty sure the only person that is intrigued by that kind of thing already knows them.) And so this Thanksgiving we had to put her down. It was hard. (No I did not personally do it, Heath did.) It was heart breaking. She taught all of our kids the joy and responsibility of having a pet, and the comfort that she can give. I will never be able to replace her. GusGus is giving his best go at it, but he is still in the "Heath's dog" stage of it.
Hannah was my guardian, my furry friend, and partner in crime. I love her and I miss her.
Tuesday, January 4, 2011
My Grey Puppy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
See what you did? I'm crying. I think I loved your dog more than I love my own. I know it was hard, but I'm glad you wrote this down.
love you
fs
{{{hugs}}}
I am so sorry. I remember Hannah. My two oldest loved to play with her when we lived closer. She was a good dog.
:'( I am there with toni...serious boob....I am so sorry
Post a Comment