Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Camping - The Ultimate Adventure

So this camping trip was our best "adventure" yet, I'm pretty sure. We spontaneously decided to go camping this last weekend. So Friday morning the kids and I gathered all the stuff, and that afternoon we were off!
We went fishing again, and caught nothing. After about 40 minutes of no fish biting the kids were sufficiently bored and wanted more rides on the 4wheeler. But before we move on there are some interesting things that I must point out in the fishing picture.
1- Kodi is wearing a dress. Even when camping that girl is wearing a dress and looking oh so fashionable.
2- Gideon is wearing his favorite shirt. On the back is a tractor and it says "Play in the Dirt". He always wants to wear this shirt. However there is a catch. It is on backwards. He always wears it backwards so he can see the tractor.
3- Yes, Tell is eating the power bait. (Again, who is his mother?)

Ah, the 4wheeler. The source of much fun, excitement, adventure, and heartache for Trace. Seriously that kids throws some special fits when you go anywhere on that thing without him.

We all took turns helping Daddy chop the wood for the fire. I think that they just loved holding the hatchet. No I didn't let Tell help this time, see I have motherly instincts in there somewhere. :)
Now the reason why this was the best adventure yet.
We forgot the tent!
Can you believe it? I can't either and I was there. We folded the seats down in the Tahoe and put all the kids and Hannah in there. So after the thrilling chore of getting the kids to sleep, Heath and I laid out our sleeping bags in the dirt and climbed on in. I get all settled in when Heath causally says,
"You know this is bear country."
"Why why why would you ever say that to me?"
"heehee haahaahaa"
The bear comment was funny for Heath at the time, but not so funny when Hannah starts barking like crazy about 1am. I don't think that I have ever seen Heath get out of the sleeping bag so fast, EVER. :) Of course all I say is the word "bear" and up he went to protect us all. It was only our fellow camper making his way to the potty. Those special campers were partying all night. So Heath and I couldn't even really pretend that we were sleeping. About 2am Tell woke up (a big thanks to our fellow campers). I got his bottle and was trying to keep him warm when Trace woke up. Long story short, Heath and I are sitting in the front of the Tahoe at 2:30am. Kodi, Gideon, and Trace are back asleep. Tell is so happy and climbing all over the dashboard.
Heath and I knew that we were not going back to sleep. So a family decision was made. We gotta go home. In 30mins we had the seats all put back together, the gear repacked, and were ready to go get the 4wheeler. The entire time we have had the headlights off so as not to wake other campers. So Heath drove the Tahoe and I walked in front of him with the lantern right down the middle of the road. We went about 1/2mile like this, then we loaded the 4wheeler and were on our way home.
Never forget your tent!

5 comments:

Nat said...

Oh my heck! I am sorry you had stress camping, but that makes a funny story! I would have gone home, too!

So, is the little man you just potty trained two? Because if I remember right, he and our youngest were born within a few days of eachother. Congrats on ditching the diapers! We're still a way off from that one!

Toni Dee! said...

I love you so much! I wish I were there to say "bear" . . . it's just been added to my arsenal of one-liners! Reminds me of the time I remembered the tent and forgot the poles. Aaah, why do all of your posts lately make me ready to move?

Darla said...

Oh Jeri! I loved your camping adventure. I also love you. You are a wonderful mom and I love,love,love the kids. Thanks for sharing your family adventure with us. (I love Heath too);)

Sara said...

I...am...laughing...my...butt...off! You all have been seriously busy!

Unknown said...

Looks so fun - you have such a sweet family -- and such a good daddy to have such fun with is kiddos. :)